- November 3, 2016
- Posted by: wabcom
- Category: blog
The etiquette of business is the set of written and unwritten rules of conduct that make social interactions run more smoothly. It entails the expected behavior of individuals within a given setting. As leaders we may be victims of not having proper etiquette due to the leeway we have, especially among our subordinates.
Verbal and non-verbal communication is a large part of etiquette; communication styles, taboo topics and preferred speaking distances vary by culture. Dress and appearance is another important facet of etiquette. We are all judged by the way we behave toward others. When you have good etiquette you make everyone around feel comfortable, at ease and respected.
As the globalization of industries and marketplaces bring leaders ever closer to unique cultures around the world, it is more important than ever for us to understand business etiquette and what is expected of us.
Avoid that awkward moment when you are not sure whether you said the right thing, wore the right clothes, made the right gesture and now start understanding, the great man’s/Woman’s manners as you lead your organisation.
In case you decide to go for training in executive etiquette, the skills you learn in class will only be valuable to you if you practice them often, thus making them part of your natural demeanour. Have fun learning these skills, then practice them often and you will be able to handle any situation with authority and confidence. You will be the one everyone describes as having “class”
Some of the benefits of having etiquette are:
- Image enhancement-Both for you and your company
- Improved work relations– understanding diversity will improve how others perceive you and how you perceive them
- Business growth as professional-Potential clients and associates will often judge you as much on your soft skills as they will your technical skills
- Rapport-Good etiquette will help you connect with everyone from new clients to co-workers.
- Confidence for the right reasons while staying safe and elevated-You will not jitter in saying or making the right things, you will be sure of what to do or say when not and still maintain your status
No matter who you are or what you do your manners will have a direct impact on your professional and social success